Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Sidney Jayne's Guide to the Best Albums of 2010

2010 has been a banner year for some fresh beatz and sick hooks, my friends. Let me share a few with you. In no particular order.

Florence + the Machine - Lungs
I love this album. So do five kajillion other people. I crossed the finish line to my first half marathon to "Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up)", so it holds a special place in my heart. Aw, barf.

Sounds like: That weird ethereal British chick in your class who you made fun of in 3rd grade,but then she got really talented and you're like 'OH SHIT'. I don't know what that really means.

Favorite Tracks: "Cosmic Love" & "Between Two Lungs"





Foals - Total Life Forever
Foals are finally getting some recognition. Good for them. I feel they've grown so much as musicians, that they'll have to change their names to Mares. HAHAHAH OH SIDNEY.

Sounds like: Aggressively eating cookies when you're high, and you're chowing down HARD. Sweet, yet hardcore. I don't know what that means either.

Favorite Tracks: "Total Life Forever", "This Orient", "Black Gold"



Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer of the Void
My dad loves this album. So do I.

Sounds Like: Some early 70s southern folk rock band that your dad listened to, but never got any radio play. Womp wommmp.

Favorite Tracks: "Below the Hurricane", "Destroyer of the Void"







Passion Pit - Manners
Okay, so I may have not been in a completely coherent state when seeing them at Sasquatch this year, but I had a moment where I fell head over heels in love with them. Could have been the tequila, but listening to this album sober makes me think it was more than that. Mmmm.

Sounds Like: The bridge between cool music and popular music.

Favorite Tracks: "Moth's Wing", "Little Secrets", "Make Light"



S. Carey - All We Grow

This album is good. It's especially good when you're lying on your bed, and thinking 'Yeah man, I get it. Hrrrnnngggggggggg'. Just like that.

Sounds like: Bon Iver's slightly embittered brother

Favorite Tracks: "In the Dirt", "In the Stream"





Mark Ronson & The Business Intl - Record Collection

Say what you want, but this album is THE SEX. IT IS JUST SEX. I am not even ashamed. It makes me want to dance in ways I didn't know were kinetically possible.

Sounds Like: Funky sexy time

Favorite Tracks: "Bang Bang Bang", "The Bike Song", "The Night Last Night", "Lose It (In the End)"



The Head and the Heart - S/T

Aw, Seattle. You have such great rising talent. These guys are getting big really quickly. You still have a little time to listen to this and say you heard them way back when.

Sounds Like: Crosby, Still, & Nash screamed too loud so their voices were hoarser. And then they were like 'hey, let's add a chick to the band'.

Favorite Tracks:
"Down in the Valley" "Cats & Dogs"


Mad Rad - The Youth Die Young

More Seattle awesomeness. I still feel sort of like I'm not allowed to listen to hip hop, like I'm not cool enough to be in the club. Whatever, I DO WHA I WAN.

Sounds like: Hip Hop + Electronic + Crooning

Favorite Tracks: "Love in a Strange World", "The Machine", "I Want Your Blood"


Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz

I have to admit, when I first heard this album, I was like 'WHAT IS THIS TOMFOOLERY?'. But then I simmered, listened again, and began to enjoy the aforementioned foolery of tom. I feel like I'd like this album more on some sort of barbiturate, but it'll do, pig.

Sounds Like: Sufjan Stevens parents gave him a MIDI synth for Christmas. And drugged his egg nog.

Favorite Tracks: "The Age of Adz", "Vesuvius"


The Courage - Fearful Bones

Formerly Noah Gundersen & the Courage, these Seattle kiddos are superb. And they just keep getting better. No pressure, guys.

Sounds Like: The Von Trapp Family singers, if they kicked ass and threw in some killer fiddle. Also, they sound nothing like the Von Trapp's. Whatever

Favorite Tracks: "Frequency", "Chances", "Summer Sky"

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Okay, I'm getting too lazy to upload more photos and awkwardly try to format them (Blogger, you need to step it UP. Ugh), so here are the rest:

Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History
Favorite Tracks: "Something Good Can Work", "I Can Talk"

Viper Creek Club - Letters
More local awesomenesssss.
Favorite Tracks: "Eliza", "Doubt"

The Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Well, duh.
Favorite Tracks: "City With No Children", "We Used to Wait"

Sleigh Bells - Treats
WHOA.
Favorite Tracks: "Tell 'em", "Treats"

Symmetry & Ryan Lewis - S/T
Ulllllltra awesome local hip hop / funky jamz, even if you don't think you like hip hop.
Favorite Tracks: "Down", "Feel Right"

Cee-Lo Green - The Lady Killer
Aw, yeaauuhh.
Favorite Tracks: "No One's Gonna Love You", "Fuck You"

Dan Black - Un

Think Mika + even more electro goodness. Super guilty pleasure. But it's good, shut it.
Favorite Tracks: "U + Me =", "Symphonies" , "Cigarette Pack"

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
Yeah, yeah, I know.
I'm kind of over it too. And yet, it's still good. Goddammit, general population, stop ruining good albums for me.
Favorite Tracks: "Awake My Soul", "White Blank Page"

Hey Marseilles - To Travels and Trunks
Seattle is just pumping out some great music this year. GO SEATTLE! This album is pretty great.
Favorite Tracks: "Rio", "Goodbye Versailles"

Washington - I Believe You Liar
This one is sort of hard to track down, but it's totally worth it. Think Laura Marling if she had more lady balls. And throw a little Florence in there too.
Favorite Tracks:
"The Hardest Part", "Rich Kids", "Lover/Soldier"

Congratulations - MGMT
That lead singer is hot. I shouted that a lot when seeing them at Sasquatch. Om nom nom.
Favorite Tracks: "Congratulation", "I Found a Whistle"

And there you have it. Go forth, young music lovers. Go forth and listen.

0 comments: